Last week, Facebook rolled out a new feature globally that lets users search for nearby free WiFi hotspots. So if you are looking to finish that presentation at the last minute, or quickly need to check your email on the go, and need free WiFi to do all that, just use your Facebook mobile app.
How to find free WiFi hotspots nearby using Facebook apps?
- Make sure you have the latest Facebook apps installed on your Android or iOS smartphone.
- Open the app and click on the hamburger menu (the three little horizontal lines). The menu is placed in the top right corner of the Android app and the bottom right side in iOS app.
- Scroll down to and tap on Find WiFi.
- You’ll see a map of the location you’re currently at. Facebook will start displaying places nearby that serve free WiFi.
- Scroll the places left to right to find more places nearby.
- You can even move the location on the map to find free WiFi hotspots at other locations.
Facebook hasn’t listed all possible free WiFi hotspots but it still has a decent collection. When I tried out the app I managed to find a good number of places with free WiFi hotspots. Although a few of those cafes were old and had shut down.
No doubt Facebook will improve the feature (through crowdsourcing perhaps) to iron out the few kinks left. It’s still a pretty useful feature to have while you’re on the go. You’ll still need mobile internet connectivity on your smartphone to find free WiFi hotspots nearby. But once you manage to find one, you can enjoy higher speeds and a more reliable connection.