Internet

Who Is The Fastest Amongst Airtel, Jio, Vodafone And Idea?

There's more to mobile internet speeds than silly advertising and large claims.

Who Is The Fastest Amongst Airtel, Jio, Vodafone And Idea? July 25, 2017Leave a comment

Shubham's day job revolves around crunching numbers for a big-data analytics company. When he gets bored of complicated calculations, he comes home and writes about technology. Contact: [email protected]

All mobile operators love to show off how advanced their networks are. 2G, 3G, 4G and soon 5G, all these buzzwords create a sense of expectation in the mobile subscriber’s mind. In simple terms, mobile internet speeds vary all the time. This is due to the fact that mobile internet depends on hundreds of different factors you or the network operator can’t do much about.

However, a new report from OpenSignal gives us a good sense of who is India’s fastest mobile internet service provider. Is it Airtel, Vodafone, Idea or the brand new entry Jio?

And The Winner Is…

OpenSignal tested out the average peak speed for the top 4G LTE network service providers in India. Their results can be summed up below:

Who is the fastest Indian 4G LTE service provider

OpenSignal is trying out a new metric to find out mobile internet speeds and it’s calling it peak speed metric. The report acknowledges that cellular networks don’t quite perform in the real world the way they look on paper. A lot of factors such as the number of users hooked to a specific base station, cellular phone’s network chips, distance between user and tower, and a lot of other factors come into play here.

How The Tests Were Carried Out

The report defines the average speed as follows:

In order to calculate the metric, we only look at the fastest of our speed tests. Specifically, we only examine data from devices that have conducted multiple automated speed tests in a three-month period. We extract the fastest speed test from those devices and then toss out the bottom 95% of the results, leaving us with only the top 5% of the fastest speeds we’ve collected from our crowdsourced community. The average of that top 5% is our average peak speed metric.

Therefore, an average peak speed of a network gives us a good idea of what regular customers might experience. Of course, networks can always claim they can and will offer better speeds than these, but end users don’t always experience those top speeds. Higher speeds can be produced at controlled locations like labs or specific locations with high-end devices.

Airtel’s average peak speed was 56.6 Mbps, according to OpenSignal. That is around 5 times higher than its average 4G download speed of around 11 Mbps.

Why Are Jio’s Internet Speeds So Slow?

Jio’s network had the slowest average LTE speeds according to OpenSignal’s India report but its peak speed comparison showed an average speed right next to Airtel. Jio’s average speed peaked at around 50 Mbps which is around 13 times faster than its average speed of 3.9 Mbps.

This doesn’t mean Jio’s network is inferior in any way. It’s just that Jio’s customers aren’t able to access the right speeds because they’re probably not under ideal conditions. In other words, Jio’s customers are in less ideal conditions for higher network speeds.

Another reason Jio’s customers are experiencing slow internet speeds is that of the much higher growth in network usage. Since Jio is currently the cheapest 4G LTE service provider in India, it is bound to attract more users every week compared to other operators. This doesn’t mean customers are jumping ship, they’re simply using Jio as a secondary connection for data or free calling.

Jio’s capacity is being tested out and that’s probably still a reason the company is willing to give away its services for free. Things are likely to improve once the freeloaders give up on leeching data.

How Fast Is Your Mobile Service Provider?

Use the comments form below to tell us how fast or slow your 4G LTE service provider is.

Shubham's day job revolves around crunching numbers for a big-data analytics company. When he gets bored of complicated calculations, he comes home and writes about technology. Contact: [email protected]

Like what you see? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for exciting updates and news around the world of Technology